Saturday, October 29, 2005

A response to an old friend

From 2001 to present, lonestar and I have posted on the ESPN Twins Board. Sometimes agreeing. Sometimes disagreeing. The fundamental difference between the two of us is that where he’s trying to be the next Rob Neyer, I’d rather be the next David Rawnsley. Yesterday he posted this article on the future of the Twins. Now, I counter with where I see him to be a tad bit off

Joe Vavra: While not lonestar’s point, I don’t see how you can’t like this choice for hitting coach. Yeah, he didn’t have the pro career that Molitor or Carew had. But to counter that, Ted Williams was one of the greatest hitters ever. But it never translated as a coach (although Ted Williams’ The Science of Hitting is required reading in the Red Sox system and should be in the Twins’ as well). At the same time Molitor and Carew have both flopped horribly as hitting coaches with Seattle and Milwaukee respectively. Is it really smart to hire people who have flopped elsewhere?

On top of which, Varva does bring an outside opinion to the organization. If you look at it from a statistical standpoint the current crop of Twins hitting prospects breaking into the majors, they never had any problem hitting in the minors. Their problems only started when they got to the majors. To isolate it to three problems, check out how LeCroy, Restovich and Cuddyer’s plate discipline rotted out once they got to Minnesota. Not only at the major league level, but when they made subsequent returns to the minors. It should have been a screaming beacon that something was rotten in Denmark. And by Denmark, I mean 34 Kirby Puckett Place. Ullger should have been shitcanned the moment he told Restovich to “swing the bat like a man.” But at the same time, IMO, Tom Kelly had too much control over how the team was run even after he retired. If you watch Dragon: the Bruce Lee Story, the reoccurring theme is if you don’t conquer your own demons, they’ll be passed down to your children. And if you consider that David McCarty begat Rich Becker who begat Todd Walker who begat David Ortiz who begat Michael Cuddyer who begat Justin Morneau, that principle is clearly illustrated in this organization.

Kelly’s biggest problem was that he lusted after a line-up of nine Kirby Pucketts. Which is fine if you have nine players with Kirby Puckett’s talents. But different players have different gifts. You couldn’t get Harmon Killebrew to hit like Kirby Puckett if you tried. But at the same time, Killebrew is just as valuable a hitter as Puckett. If not more. A good boss would have seen the Killebrew in Restovich and LeCroy, and tried to maxmize it. Not force them into something there not. And this is the fundemental flaw that has kept the Twins from having a 30-homerun hitter since Kelly’s first year as manager. Given that the team has since been taken over by Kelly’s boys in Gardenhire and Ullger, the problem has continued to manifest.

That not to say Vavra can’t or won’t be the status quo. But then again if any chance of the Twins having an offensive turn-around next year starts with Cuddyer and Morneau unlearning some of the things they’ve learned at the at the major league level. And who better to do that than their old minor league coach?

Jason Kubel: I think lonestar tried to make too much out of this point. It’s a lot simpler than that. If Kubel’s swing is there in April, he and Ford will platoon in right field. If not, Kubel starts in Rochester and Ford is the starting right fielder in Minnesota. It’s that simple.

Michael Cuddyer: There’s no way in Hades that he winds in right field, because he’s already flopped there once. There’s no way he winds up as a super-utility player either, because for the team to be successful next year Cuddyer needs to be successful nect year. The two options are clear. The Twins either find a second baseman in the offseason, and Cuddyer stays at third. Or the Twins find a third baseman and Cuddyer shifts to second, much to Carlos Silva’s dismay. They won’t look for both.

Torii Hunter: Whether or not he’ll be traded depends on what ‘s offered for him. And in reality, it doesn’t matter. If the Yankees come up with a blow-away offer for Hunter, he’s replaceable by players the Twins on the roster right now. If not, it’s not like the money the team saved was going to bring in Konerko anyway. More than likely, it would go to resigning Jacque Jones if Hunter goes. Given more than likely the team is going to replace two of their more ground ball oriented starting pitchers with more fly-ball oriented ones, I lean towards keeping Hunter though. Though I’d like to see him muzzled for the good of the team.

Kyle Lohse: Like Hunter, whether or not he’s traded is such a non-issue it’s not even funny. If the Twins keep him, it’s fine. He’s their Jeff Suppan in the back of the rotation and Liriano cuts his teeth in long relief for a bit and gets a little further along the injury nexus. If they don’t, they’ll get something in return but nothing overtly valuable. Teams don’t drool over Jeff Suppans or Mark Redmans when they’re up for trade.

Pitching Prospects: The biggest mistake the Twins made last year was placing too much value on some of their young pitchers, and not enough on others. Bonser could be the next Freddy Garcia. More than likely he’ll be the next Sid Ponson. But you can attribute the same flaws to Baker and Liriano too. If Baker doesn’t improve any, he could well be just the next Kyle Lohse instead of the next Radke. There’s a certain layer of Eric Milton to Liriano, as well as the potential Santana comp (which does put him above the other two). If Baker is going to net you more than Bonser in trade, it’s not that bad of an idea to trade Baker instead of Bonser.

Terry Mulholland: The Twins resign him, but to a minor league deal like they did last year. If he keeps pitching effectively, he stays. If he gets old fast, he goes.

DH: IMO, cutting Matt LeCroy is a sign from the front office that they know they need to find a real one. I tend to think it’s a sign they’re going to try to do something more permanent then go for Durazo, or else they would have reupped with Matty because he and Durazo would make a great platoon.

The reality is the team has three options:

1. They look for the next Chili Davis, meaning they target a veteran who had a down year in 2005 who could bounce back in 2006. Durazo fits into this category. So does a Mike Piazza or Sammy Sosa. Trading for Thome also fits into this category. Durazo is probably the least likely to have suffered from a case of the olds in 2005.
2. They look for the next David Ortiz, meaning a player in his mid-20s who’s arbritration eligible and not likely to be brought back by his current team, but has some shiny glitter left of being a highly-regarded prospect in a past life. With Dmitri Young getting enough plate appearances to ensure his options and Chris Shelton the Tigers aren’t likely to need Carlos Pena anymore. The Dodgers aren’t likely to go to arbritration with Hee Seop Choi. Willy Mo Pena and Austin Kearns are both arbrtration eligible in Cincinatti, and keeping four expensive outfielders isn’t a great idea. The point being, there will be young players out there for cheap who haven’t hit yet, but who might as soon as next year.
3. They look for the next Travis Hafner, which entails finding a prospect that’s not super-regarded by their current organization and trade for him. I’ve already done a long blog on this subject on the old Twins Territory blogs, and won’t get into it here.

There's no one way of going about this. And anyone who's targeting one player as a sign of a successful offseason has a serious flaw in his or her strategy.

Optimism:The offseason is now only two days old. Anything is still possible for next year. I prefer to save my negativity for when the team does make a bad move. I’ll start complaining about it then, instead of worrying about it now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

First, I’m glad to see you call me an old friend. I was drafting a column where I call you my unwilling and unwitting mentor and quoting you. By the way, the exchanges goes back to 2000, after John Barnes career year at altitude.

I have defined a pessimist as a disappointed optimist. I am by nature a critical thinker which leads to skepticism and eventually cynicism. I don’t know how a thinking person can read this and not be pessimistic.
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=3064

Not only was it not my point regarding Joe Vavra, but I didn’t even mention the hitting coach in the article you referenced. I did mention the coaching situation in The Twins New Blueprint linked to it. That was written before Vavra was hired and drafted before Newman departed. Having said that, I think your Dragon methaphor is a WWWeb gem and I appreciate your insight regarding Vavra. I would have gone with Grand Canyon hitting coach John Mallee myself.

Perhaps I overstated Kubel’s arb status. I know Kubel and Mauer are probably the only two rookies trusted by the Twins organization on the first go-round. On the other hand, they have already lost 1 year of indentured servitude. They will be tempted to gain back 2/3 of a year.

Twins.com correspondent Mark Sheldon best described Kubel’s situation:

"Especially after watching some of the younger hitters struggle this season, I'm wary of placing any significant expectations on a rookie -- especially one who missed an entire year with a major knee injury. Kubel may fulfill the promise that seemed imminent during the 2004 season but you just don't know. If we're on the backend of this off-season and partially hinging the Twins' hopes of returning to the playoffs on Kubel's health and production, they're in trouble." – Seth Speaks, 10/25/2005

It was the latest and most advanced step in his long and tedious rehabilitation. But he was still wearing a brace that limited his ability to run and he was not allowed to slide or play defense. The knee still had some swelling, but Kubel reported feeling no pain. .. With more than three months remaining until the Twins are scheduled to report to Spring Training, Kubel has time to get fully healthy. Whether he'll be a factor in camp, the club isn't speculating. With right fielder Jacque Jones a likely departure as a free agent, there could be a battle to replace him. .. "We'll have to wait until we get him out there," Ryan said. "I hope he will be able to compete for a spot. He's not at the point where he can run, but he's making steady progress." -- Twins.com 10/26/2005

Will the Twins obtain a RF and DH in the off-season – perhaps Durazo and Kearns/Pena like you suggest? Or will they let either Ford or Cuddyer save a spot for Kubel in RF?

Cuddyer won the RF job and flopped. He was handed the 3B job and flopped. That is, the Twins brain trust thought Glenn Williams could replace him. Ryan has said he doesn’t look like a second baseman. Ryan and Gardy have both said he hits better when playing RF.’s

I agree with you on the two best options regarding Cuddyer in 2006 – play him at 3B or 2B and find a player with the other slot. I’m not sure Ryan does. I know Gardy does not. And he seems to have a great deal of influence.

IMO what the Twins do with Torii Hunter does matter, not so much for 2006 as 2007 and beyond. Hunter’s trade value goes down in 2007 as he becomes more expensive on a shorter contract. And there is the danger that Ryan will extend his contract. The Twins need an infusion of postion talent at the upper levels. A.Romero might be ready by mid-2007. Moses might be ready by 2008. Span might be ready when hell freezes over.

As long as Torii stays a Twins, he needs to be muzzled. I’m afraid he’s turning into a cancer though.

We differ on Kyle Lohse’s trade value. That’s good. I admit I’m not very good at this trade value thing. Trading Lohse is a huge issue because he takes up more than $4 million of arbitrary, self-imposed salary cap.

I don’t get the Eric Milton comp to Liriano. Oliver Perez maybe, or Juan Cruz. But you are better at this than I am.

As I recall, you think Radke and Garcia are comparable. If Baker is more likely to turn into Radke than Lohse and Bonser is more likely to turn into Ponson than Garcia, Baker is worth more. With Radke retiring, it makes more sense to moi and more importantly Terry Ryan to keep Baker. I am puzzled as to why the Twins did not call up Bonser in September or send him to the AFL.

Mulholland filed for free agency. I don’t see him signing a minor league deal. I think the Twins will move on. It will be interesting to see what the Twins will do for LHP’s in the pen. I know it’s a non-issue, but what do you see Ryan doing with Romero?

You didn’t say anything about keeping both Castro and Punto. Do you think they will? This is not a non-issue, IMO.

I agree that cutting LeCroy is a sign from the front office that they know they need to find a real DH. Ryan is conscious of the need of a right-handed quasi-pseudo alpha male. However, he salivates over left handed hitting because of the dome as well as the fact that they face almost 3 times as many RHP’s as LHP’s.

I agree on the three options: [1] a veteran who had a down year but who could bounce back the next. [2] a player in his mid-20s who’s arbritration eligible and not likely to be brought back by his current team; and [3] a prospect that’s not super-regarded by their current organization. I would add [4] a prospect that is highly regarded by his team but become available at trade deadline and [5] obtain a veteran in his last year before free agency.

Terry Ryan has never used doors 1-3. He perceives himself no longer in a Sell mode, so door #4 appears closed. He has opened door #5 once – the Shannon Stewart deal.

Piazza and Sosa have big forks sticking out of them, IMO. Even if Thome isn’t done in 2006, his contract is too long. Durazo has old player skills and will crash sooner than later. But one or two years will suffice.

I agree there's more than one way of going about this. I agree anyone who's targeting one player as a sign of a successful offseason has a serious flaw in their strategy. The Twins need to fill at a minimum 3 positions: RF, DH, and 2B/3B (wherever Cuddyer doesn’t play). I would add LF, but that’s a separate diatribe. They will likely need several candidates for each postion since they can’t count on getting their first choice.

Do you post on the DTFC Twins board? If YES, what’s your user name. You can link you site there.

Your first substantive post and you start kibitsing.

Anonymous said...

Good post Scott. I totally agree about the organization trying to make every hitter the same. As soon as Ortiz left, he stopped trying to 'go the other way.' He's a dead pull hitter, he embraced that in Boston by opening up his stance. That worked out pretty good, that and being healthy for a whole year.

-Andy Wink
Twins Killings

J Dub said...

Andy,

If you read Baseball Prospectus' new book Mind Game, you'll see a great quote attributed to Ortiz. Basically, he said about his time in Minnesota "If they want me to hit like a little bitch, I'll hit like a little bitch." Fewer quotes are more relevant about the Twins offensive problems.

Cheers,

J-Dub

J Dub said...

L-Diddy

The thing to remember about Hunter is he's likely gone after this season any way. I don't think it matters if they trade him for that reason.

The thing to remember about Lohse is that the 3 million or so it'll take to go to arbritration with him (I don't think Boras can argue he's worth more than Silva in the process to up it past four) is probably the money that's earmarked for a Mueller signing. And is the team really going to be hurting that badly if they don't sign Bill Mueller?

I'd put Eric Milton and Oliver Perez in the same grouping of pitchers, throwing in Odalis Perez and C.C. Sabathia as well. They all threw hard from the left side, were prone to hanging the odd breaking ball, and were giant injury risks. If the Twins get a 1999-2001 Milton run out of Liriano the next two years, it wouldn't be a bad thing. But he still has to improve to get to the Santana/Johnson level. And since the last pitcher to get to that level in this organization was Walter Johnson, it doesn't happen as often as we'd wish.

As for Bonser/Baker, I don't think there's any way of knowing who's more likely to break out or not. Techincally, five years ago Adam Johnson was more likely to be the pitcher Johan Santana is today than Johan Santana. But that didn't work out all that well for Johnson now, did it?

As for the DH thing, again it's a who knows situation. The only wrong move for Ryan at this point is doing nothing.